Critical Alert: A Vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player Could Allow for Remote Code Execution (APSA18-01)
Description: A vulnerability has been discovered in Adobe Flash Player that could allow for remote code execution. This vulnerability occurs due to a use-after-free error (CVE-2018-4878). Adobe is scheduled to release a patch to address this vulnerability during the week of
February 5th, 2018. In the meantime, Adobe has provided mitigation steps that are listed in the recommendations section below.
Impact: Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could result in the attacker gaining control of the affected system. Depending on the
privileges associated with this application, an attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts
with full user rights. If this application has been configured to have fewer user rights on the system, exploitation of this vulnerability
could have less impact than if it was configured with administrative rights.
- Adobe Flash Player Desktop Runtime for Windows, Macintosh, and Linux versions 184.108.40.206 and earlier
- Adobe Flash Player for Google Chrome versions 220.127.116.11 and earlier
- Adobe Flash Player for Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer 11 versions 18.104.22.168 and earlier
Mitigation: The following actions are recommended:
- Install the update once it has been released by Adobe immediately after appropriate testing.
- Enable click-to-play to require user interaction before enabling SWF content for Internet Explorer 7 and below.
- Enable read-only protected view for Microsoft Office.
- Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
- Remind users not to visit websites or follow links provided by unknown or untrusted sources.
- Inform and educate users regarding the threats posed by hypertext links contained in emails or attachments especially from un-trusted sources.
- Apply the Principle of Least Privilege to all systems and services.
27 Sep 2020 - Security Advisories & Alerts
23 Sep 2020 - Security Advisories & Alerts