A Vulnerability in WebKitGTK and WPE WebKit Could Allow for Arbitrary Code Execution
A vulnerability has been discovered in WebKit GTK and WPE WebKit which
could allow for arbitrary code execution.
* WebKitGTK is a full-featured port of the WebKit rendering engine,
suitable for projects requiring any kind of web integration, from hybrid
HTML/CSS applications to full-fledged web browsers.
* WPE is the reference WebKit port for embedded and low-consumption
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow for arbitrary
code execution. Depending on the privileges associated with the user an
attacker could then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or
create new accounts with full user rights. Users whose accounts are
configured to have fewer user rights on the system could be less
impacted than those who operate with administrative user rights.
A vulnerability has been discovered in WebKitGTK and WPE WebKit which
could allow for arbitrary code execution. This vulnerability occurs when
processing specially crafted web content due to a use after free error
in the “AudioSourceProviderGStreamer” class.
Successful exploitation of this vulnerability could allow an attacker to
execute arbitrary code in the context of the browser. Depending on the
privileges associated with this application, an attacker could then
install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new accounts
with full user rights. If this application has been configured to have
fewer user rights on the system, exploitation of this vulnerability
could have less impact than if it was configured with administrative rights.
* WebKitGTK prior to version 2.30.5
* WPE WebKit prior to version 2.30.5
We recommend the following actions be taken:
* Install the updates provided by WebKitGTK and WPE WebKit immediately
after appropriate testing.
* Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative
privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
* Remind users not to visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided
by unknown or un-trusted sources.
* Inform and educate users regarding the threats posed by hypertext
links contained in emails or attachments especially from un-trusted sources.
* Apply the Principle of Least Privilege to all systems and services.
Windows SeriousSAM vulnerability: CVE-2021-36934 Local Privilege Escalation Vulnerability in Microsoft Windows
25 Jul 2021 - Security Advisories & Alerts
19 Jul 2021 - Security Advisories & Alerts