UPDATED – Multiple Vulnerabilities in VMware vCenter Server Could Allow for Remote Code Execution
Threat intelligence firm Bad Packets has reported that hackers are
actively scanning the Internet for VMware vCenter servers vulnerable
against a critical RCE flaw recently fixed by VMware.
Multiple vulnerabilities have been discovered in VMware vCenter Server,
which could result in remote code execution. Details of these
vulnerabilities are as follows:
* A remote code execution vulnerability in vCenter Server which enables
a malicious actor to execute commands with unrestricted privileges.
* An authentication mechanism issue in vCenter Server Plug-ins which
enable a malicious actor to perform unauthorized actions. (CVE-2021-21086)
Depending on the privileges associated with the user, an attacker could
then install programs; view, change, or delete data; or create new
accounts with full user rights. Users whose accounts are configured to
have fewer user rights on the system could be less impacted than those
who operate with administrative user rights. A pre-requisite of
exploiting these vulnerabilities is that the malicious actor must have
network access over port 443 to exploit these vulnerabilities.
Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities could allow an attacker
to execute arbitrary code in context of the user running the application.
* VMware vCenter Server versions 6.5, 6.7, 7.0
We recommend the following actions be taken:
* Apply appropriate updates provided by VMware to vulnerable systems
immediately after appropriate testing.
* Run all software as a non-privileged user (one without administrative
privileges) to diminish the effects of a successful attack.
* Remind users not to visit un-trusted websites or follow links provided
by unknown or un-trusted sources.
* Inform and educate users regarding the threats posed by hypertext
links contained in emails or attachments especially from un-trusted sources.
* Apply the Principle of Least Privilege to all systems and services.
PetitPotam: Microsoft Windows Server NTLM Relay Attacks on Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS)
26 Jul 2021 - Security Advisories & Alerts
25 Jul 2021 - Security Advisories & Alerts